At Overhead Door of Akron, your family’s safety is our top priority. We understand that you want to keep your loved ones – both human and furry – safe from harm at all times. That’s why we have put together this guide on garage door safety to help you ensure the protection of your family and pets.
The Importance of Garage Door Safety
Garage doors are often the largest moving object in a home, making them a potential hazard if not handled properly. In fact, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, an average of 20,000 people are treated for garage door-related injuries every year. These injuries can range from minor cuts and bruises to more severe injuries such as broken bones or even death.
Furthermore, pets can also be at risk of injury from garage doors. As curious animals, they may try to enter or exit the garage when the door closes, potentially getting caught and injured.
Tips for Keeping Your Family and Pets Safe
Here are some tips from Overhead Door of Akron to help you keep your family and pets safe around garage doors:
- Educate your family on the dangers of garage doors and how to use them safely. Teach them never to stand, walk, or run under a moving garage door.
- Keep the remote control for the garage door out of reach of children and pets. Explain to older children that it is not a toy and should only be used with adult supervision.
- Regularly inspect your garage door for any signs of wear and tear, such as loose or frayed cables, broken springs, or damaged panels. If you notice anything unusual, contact a professional for repairs.
- Never attempt to fix a garage door yourself, especially if you are not trained in garage door repair. This can be dangerous and could potentially cause more harm than good.
- Install a safety sensor on your garage door if it doesn’t already have one. This will automatically stop the closing of the door if an object or person is detected in its path.
- Keep your garage door closed and locked when not in use to prevent children and pets from entering without supervision.
By following these tips and taking additional safety measures, you can help ensure that your family and pets are protected from potential hazards related to garage doors. Remember, at Overhead Door of Akron, your family’s safety is our priority, and we are always here to help with any garage door needs or concerns you may have. Give us a call today at (330) 929-3452. Stay safe!