At Overhead Door of Akron, we want to help you make the most of your garage door and save energy in the process. In general, upgrading to an energy-efficient garage door and opener is an excellent way to reduce household energy consumption and costs. However, there are other ways to improve your garage door’s energy efficiency that doesn’t require a total replacement. In this article, we’ll outline some tips that can help you make your garage door more energy efficient.
1. Insulate Your Garage Door: Garage doors are often one of the primary sources of heat loss in a home. Insulating your garage door can help keep the heat inside your home and reduce energy bills. Installing insulation on a garage door is relatively straightforward, and there are many different types of insulation available on the market.
When selecting an insulation product, consider the R-value, which measures the insulating material’s thermal resistance. The higher the R-value, the more effective the insulation will be in reducing heat transfer. In addition, some insulation products can help reduce noise and improve the overall durability of your garage door.
2. Replace Weather Stripping: Weather stripping around your garage door is designed to prevent drafts and heat loss by creating a tight seal between the door and the frame. Over time, weather stripping can become worn, damaged, or ineffective, leading to thermal leaks and energy loss. Replacing worn weather stripping on your garage door is an easy way to increase energy efficiency and save on utility costs.
There are various types of weather stripping available, such as brush, vinyl, rubber, and foam. When replacing weather stripping, it’s crucial to ensure it fits correctly and creates a tight seal when the garage door is closed.
3. Repair and Maintain Your Garage Door: Regular maintenance and minor repairs to your garage door can improve its energy efficiency by preventing air leaks and thermal loss. For example, if the garage door panels are warped or there are visible gaps between the panels that let in air, it will reduce energy efficiency. Additionally, the sealant on the garage door frame can erode over time, diminishing its ability to stop air from entering.
If you notice any issues with your garage door, such as slow or uneven movement, door shaking, or odd sounds, contact a professional garage door technician to assess and repair the issue promptly.
4. Use LED or Energy-Saving Light Bulbs: Energy-saving light bulbs are an easy and inexpensive way to improve the energy efficiency of your garage door. Traditional light bulbs can consume 80% more energy than LED light bulbs, resulting in higher energy bills. LED and energy-saving bulbs save energy by consuming less power but also by giving off less heat that will cause the surrounding air to warm up. This reduction in heat surrounding your bulbs will help keep your garage cooler, even during the warm summer months.
5. Consider Installing a Timer or Motion Sensor: When you forget to turn off the light after leaving your garage, it can waste electricity and increase your energy bill. Installing a timer or motion sensor is a great way to prevent this waste. A timer allows you to set a specific time for your garage light to turn off, while a motion sensor detects movement in the garage to turn the light on before switching it off again after a set time has passed. Using the timer or motion sensor, you can significantly reduce your electricity consumption and improve the energy efficiency of your garage door.
6. Use reflective film on any windows or skylights in your garage: Using reflective film on windows and skylights in your garage can help significantly reduce the temperature inside. The film reflects sunlight, keeping it from entering through the window and heating up the interior space. This helps to keep the garage cooler naturally, reducing energy costs associated with climate control. Reflective films are also a great way to block out harmful UV rays while still letting natural light in, providing an additional layer of protection against sun damage. Additionally, reflective films have the potential to increase building insulation values and reduce air leakage, further maximizing energy efficiency in your garage door. With proper installation, these films can last for many years without showing signs of wear or fading. Installing reflective films is an easy and cost-effective way to improve energy efficiency in your garage and reduce the amount of energy used for cooling.
7. Choose an efficient motor: Motor efficiency is critical in ensuring that your garage door is energy efficient. An efficient motor will use less power when operating and will help to reduce the amount of electricity consumed by your garage door. This, in turn, can mean significant savings on your monthly electricity bill.
In addition to helping save money on monthly electricity bills, an efficient motor also helps ensure that your garage door runs smoother and quieter than traditional motors. By reducing the amount of vibration created when it operates, an efficient motor can make for a much more pleasant experience when using your garage door.
Increasing the energy efficiency of your garage door can be done through various means, from insulating the door to replacing worn weather stripping, regular maintenance and minor repairs, using LED or energy-saving bulbs, and installing a timer or motion sensor. These measures are relatively simple and inexpensive and can save you money on your energy bills while reducing your household’s carbon footprint.
At Overhead Door of Akron, we understand that energy efficiency is essential for both your wallet and the environment. That’s why we offer a variety of garage doors that are designed to save you money on energy costs. Our garage doors are made with advanced insulation technology, helping to keep the temperature inside your home stable and lower your heating and cooling bills throughout the year. With our selection of insulated garage doors, you can enjoy added comfort while saving energy and money! Contact us today at 330-929-3452 to learn more about how we can help you reduce your energy consumption and save on monthly utility costs. We’re here to help make sure your home is as efficient as possible!