A garage door is essential to any home, providing security, convenience, and aesthetic value. Whether you’re building a new home or simply replacing an old or damaged garage door, planning ahead is crucial to ensure a successful installation. Here are some essential factors to consider when planning for a new garage door installation:
- Measure the space: The first step in planning for a garage door installation is to measure the available space. Measure both the width and height of the door opening. If possible, also measure any obstructions like electrical wiring or plumbing that may be in the way. Be sure to consider any existing posts, beams, or other structural elements that need to be taken into account when selecting a new garage door. Make sure you have enough clearance for the installation of your new garage door so that it can open and close without any issues.
- Determine the style and material: Once you have your measurements, it’s time to choose the style and material of the garage door that best fits your needs and aesthetic preferences. There are many options available, including traditional raised panel doors, contemporary glass and aluminum doors, and classic Carriage house doors. Material options include wood, steel, aluminum, and fiberglass. Each material has its own unique benefits and drawbacks, so it’s essential to do your research and choose the material that best fits your budget, style, and maintenance preferences.
- Consider insulation: When installing a new garage door, insulation should be taken into consideration. Insulation helps reduce energy costs by keeping the air inside the garage and controlling temperature levels. Not only will this help keep your home comfortable year-round, but it can also positively impact your wallet!
Insulating a garage door is not always necessary if you plan to use it primarily for storage or as an entryway to the house. However, insulating your new garage door is highly recommended if you will be using the space for living or working. Additionally, if you live in an area that experiences extreme temperatures throughout the year, consider insulating your new garage door to ensure consistent comfort when entering and exiting from the space.
- Choose a reputable garage door company: Once you have chosen the style, material, and insulation of your new garage door, it’s crucial to choose a reputable garage door installation company. Look for a company with a good reputation, experience, and a warranty on their products and services. Reputable companies will also provide a quote upfront based on your specific needs and budget.
- Prepare your garage: When planning to install a new garage door, it is necessary to prepare your garage before installation. Here are some steps you can take:
Clear the space – Remove any items that could possibly interfere with the installation process, such as furniture, tools, and other stored items. This will also make sure there’s enough room for the installer to move around and do their job.
Check for structural damage – Inspect your walls and ceiling for any signs of structural damage or erosion that may have been caused by years of use. If needed, repair any damage as recommended by a professional contractor before moving on with the installation processes.
Clean out existing tracks and hardware – Once everything else is cleared out, you should clean any dirt or dust off of your existing tracks and hardware. Make sure all components are adequately lubricated if needed.
Final prep work – Take a few moments to double-check that all existing electrical wires and mounting brackets are in good condition prior to installation day. This will ensure that everything runs smoothly on the install day, saving you time and stress while avoiding safety hazards caused by faulty wiring or loose brackets.
- Choose a convenient installation date and time: Once your garage is prepared, choose a convenient date and time for the installation. Make sure to be available during the installation process to answer any questions the installers may have and to ensure that the installation is done to your satisfaction.
- Plan for maintenance: Once you have decided on the type of garage door that best fits your needs, it is essential to make sure it is installed correctly and with a plan for maintenance. A poorly installed garage door can be dangerous and costly and lead to structural damage in the future if not addressed properly. Proper care will help ensure your new garage door remains safe and operational over time. This includes inspecting the door regularly for any signs of wear and tear, lubricating moving parts, and cleaning the door and tracks. Most reputable garage door installation companies provide maintenance services, so be sure to ask about their maintenance packages.
In conclusion, planning ahead for a new garage door installation is essential to ensure a successful and lasting investment. By taking the time to measure the available space, choose the style and material that best fits your needs, selecting a reputable installation company, preparing your garage, choosing a convenient installation date and time, and planning for regular maintenance, you can rest assured that your new garage door will provide security, convenience, and aesthetic value for years to come.
When you’re ready to install a new garage door, you can trust the experts at Overhead Door of Akron to make it happen. Whether you’re looking for a standard design or something more unique, we have the experience and knowledge necessary to get it done right. Our talented team will work with you every step of the way to ensure that your new garage door meets all your needs and expectations. From advising on size and style to helping with installation, we’ll be there for you every step of the process. So don’t wait any longer – contact us today for an estimate on your new garage door! With Overhead Door of Akron, you can rest assured knowing that your project will be handled professionally from start to finish. Get in touch today at 330-929-3452 to find out how we can help you bring your dream garage door to life. You won’t regret it!